Translate

Thursday 5 September 2013

September TUSAL



It's TUSAL time again!  For those of you new to blogging, the TUSAL is a project run by Daffycat, click on the button on the right hand bar for more details.


Here is September's ORTS jar getting very full now, pictured with Joan Elliott's Wizard from the 2013 Diary and a new start.

I finished Andie's gorgeous Mirabilia Round Robin and as I don't have the chart for the next RR yet I decided needed to make a start on some of my ever-increasing stash pile.  I acquired quite a few Just Nan patterns during this year so thought I would stitch one of those.  It was a tie between September Song and the one; Autumn Typography.  This won because I figured I could then justify buying the other three seasons once I finish it!

Here is a picture of my progress so far:


I'm stitching on a 32 count linen from Willow Fabrics called Tobacco.  Now I am cross because I just went to their website to check the colour (I also bought Cognac at the same time) and found they have reduced the prices even more than when I bought the fabric!!  £4.50 for a half metre is the most incredible price for linen in the UK.  It's over £20 full price.  I paid £6 and was well pleased two weeks ago.  Actually I paid £2 plus postage because I had a £10 voucher from Cross Stitch Collection so I really can't complain too much.

I'm using a conversion from the charted GAST to DMC I found Stitches 'n' Things website.  It will be quite different but I can't justify buying all those GAST just to use half a length on one word.  I love the little over 1 crow and have recharted the squirrels to be over 1 too.  I'm going to make them proper Red Squirrels not the grey tree-rats charted.  What colour are squirrels where you live?

I was having a look through the box of stash my friend gave me at the beginning of the Summer and found this great catalogue from 1996:


It's the first catalogue from a company called Hanging by a Thread.  I wonder if they are still going LOL.  Seems like they still are here.

I also found this sweet little ribbon embroidery kit.  Does anyone do ribbon embroidery and would you like it? It includes the vase button and all the ribbons too.


Finally the Summer Postcard Blog Hop is at an end.  The penulitimate card was sent from Joyce to Lili then Lili's card was "sent" to me.  Here is the card Lili sent:

Lili says "This design is a freebie from The Little Stitcher (There's no place like Home).  It is the first piece I have stitched with the theme "home" ;)  I have returned home from my vacation time and is always nice to come back to my "place".


And here is the full list of participants this year:

Summer 2013
My card goes to Debbie at Debbie's Cross Stitch
Debbie's card goes to Christine at The Alchymyst's Study
Christine's card goes to Lynn at Kearnel's Korner
Lynn's card goes to Clare at Aimetu's Stitching
Clare's card goes to Vickie at A Stitcher's Story
Vickie's card goes to Julie at Julie's Stitchyknitty Journal
Julie's card goes to Penny at Larkspur Lane
Penny's card goes to Astrid at Dragon Stitches and Stuff
Astrid's card goes to Cheryl at Today I Found...
Cheryl's card goes to Laura at For the Love of the Needle
Laura's card goes to Evalina at This and That
Evalina's card goes to Joyce at Joyce's Love of Life
Joyce's card goes to Lili at Stitching Basket
Lili's card comes to me here

Thanks to everyone who took part and everyone who left comments on the various blogs throughout the summer.  I hope you discovered some "new-to-you" blogs while you hopped.  
The next Blog Hop is the Hallowe'en Trick or Treat secret word so be ready to dust off your spooky stitches for the sign up later this month.  Which, incidentally, is my Birthday month.  Just saying.  Not hinting for cards or anything.  But email cards would be gratefully received in this time of austerity and high postage costs!!


  



15 comments:

Linda said...

Love your new start Jo.

Linda

Jan Gartlan said...

Love your wizard and new start. I can't tell you the colour of our squirrels in Australia as we don't have any. Our possums (which might be the equivalent) vary from grey through to black.

Kerryp77 said...

That's a great start Jo. Looking forward to seeing the finished piece and of course the other 3 seasons. Autumn on its own just wouldn't be right! The ribbon kit is pretty but I've onky ever done it once or twice with let's say varying degrees of success!

AnaCristina said...

:-)

Anonymous said...

Jo,
You have a great start to Just Nan's Autumn Typography.

I bet it was neat to see how far the stitching world has evolved since 1996?

What a cute embroidery kit. I hope it finds a good home.

I love your blog hops. Halloween blog hop? I would love to be included in this one!

Have a great weekend!

Christine said...

I love the typography design, I especially love that it says Autumn and not Fall.
Great postcard, thanks for organising the blog hop, it was fun

Mii Stitch said...

Great start on the Just Nan design, it looks lovely already :)

Unknown said...

Your TUSAL Jar is looking great, mine is amost full too. Loving the new start :)

♥ Nia said...

I love your wizard :)
Nice start!

Giovanna said...

Very nice new start!
I actually went to a CA Wells class in London organized by Hanging by a Thread, back in 2009 - the company is basically a very nice lady called Susan. She's still organizing classes, and I'd love to go to another one sometime.

Chris said...

Thank you for telling me about fractual patterns they are so beautiful
Chris xx
Ps I think I missed the Home PC?

Chris said...

Opps typo It was fractal patterns!

xx

Bernadett said...

Lovely work in progress and wonderful present.:)
I do ribbon embroidery...:)))
http://petite-armoire.blogspot.com/search/label/ribbon%20stitching

And I made a new one.I will post about it these days.:) I love the kit.:)

The Crafty Princess said...

UGH! I hate when that happens. I recently bought a chart at 40% off only to find it was further reduced to 53% 2 days later, d'oh!!!

As for squirrels we don't have any down under, but if we did I agree with you. The lovely colours of a red squirrel would look so much nicer than the "grey tree rats" LOL!

I so love your JE Wizard and how you set it up with the spell book(?). Just stunningly magical.
Alicia xo

Dani - tkdchick said...

The wizard you have pictured with your orts is fantastic.