Translate

Saturday 1 November 2014

October Just Nan SAL and Theme-a-licious Update

Just Nan SAL
Just Nan SAL is hosted by Zeb of Keep Calm and Cross Stitch

Unfortunately Zeb is no longer updating the SAL on her blog but that's no reason to stop stitching and posting!  So here is my monthly update.

I had a last minute Nan start this month, Haunted Pumpkins Tree which was a Birthday gift from Mouse and the fabric came from Shebafudge.  Here is my latest progress photo:

Stitched on Chocolate Orange from Crafty Kitten


Theme-a-licious is hosted by Heather of It's Geek to Me

Each month Heather thinks up a theme for us to stitch to, or in my case, a theme to somehow shoe-horn my existing stitching into, no matter how tenuous the link!


Oft-Overlooked October
Find a new-to-you designer and start a new project this month! Or maybe two...or three...

This was actually an adaptation of my idea of Newbie November (I won a prize for it!!) but changed to alliterate with October!  In some ways it was quite difficult to find an actual new designer to me because I do stitch designs from alot of different people.  But luckily enough I had purchased a chart by Madame Chantilly to stitch for my cousin's new baby boy.  They have a nautical themed nursery so this perfect:

 
Stitched on Kynance by Sparklies

I started this one in August.  This was a Mystery SAL in four parts which are all released now from Frosted Pumpkins:
Stitched on Moondust by Crafty Kitten

My final piece for this month's Theme-a-licious isn't an actual new-to-me designer but she does fit into the "Oft-Overlooked" category.  Val's Stuff features regularly in the JCS magazine ornie specials but she does not seem to be a well-known or much talked about designer.  Anyway, I stitched her Tricks or Treats from JCS Sep/Oct 2010 Hallowe'en Ornie feature:

Stitched on 32 count twilight blue linen

The chart calls for three candycorn buttons which I didn't have and which are almost impossible to find in England, we just don't have them.  So I just did some little over one stitched versions.  To my eyes they look like traffic cones!  But maybe Americans don't have them?

Next month we have No Xs November so I shall have to see how I manage with that.  I didn't do very well last year!

Finally, the Hallowe'en Trick or Treat Blog Hop started yesterday.  One blogger has been in touch to apologise for not being able to post due to real life getting in the way of blogging!  But you should be able to guess the phrase without the one letter.  Unless you are the person who guessed 
AVOCADOS AND PURPLE DEER 
Because that is not correct!!  You have until 7th November to join in.

ps there is an amazing firework display going on outside my window as I type.  Not sure why because it is still 4 days until the 5th November!  I really don't hold with early fireworks.  Save them for the big day, we will be.
Oooooo, massive Chrysanthemum just gone off!!




16 comments:

Katie said...

What wonderful stitching. So glad I found your blog finally. Do we email you the phrase or put it in our comments? Sorry I've never played along before.

Heather said...

Oh it was pink deer my bad :). Great update!

gracie said...

I almost guessed that! lol...it was fun and thank you again for keeping us hopping!

Linda said...

I love all the projects your working on Jo and cute finish.

Linda

Annette-California said...

Great stitching! I enjoyed that blog hop. I didn't get to make it to all of them but I tried. love Annette

cucki said...

Great stitching dear x

Christine said...

I am in awe of all the projects you manage to stitch on. I have one on the go and I can't keep up with that!

Yes, the candy corn does kind of look like traffic cones. Mr Pumpkin will get himself a ticket parking between them like that

diamondc said...

Jo: Nice choices.

Catherine

rosey175 said...

SURE IT IS. :D

The traffic cones are all orange around these parts! Maybe with a few white reflective stripes at the top. Same shape though.

The beach one is so fun to watch grow on that fabric. It'll look great in the nautical nursery.

Preeti said...

Your projects look very sweet!! They do resemble traffic cones :) I never realised until you pointed out here .

Thoeria said...

They're looking good Jo!!
I have ONE Just Nan in my stash....hmmmm.....think I need to stitch it this MMMM

Unknown said...

Love all of your new projects and it's always great to see actual stitching on hand dyed fabric - I have a piece of Kynance on order with Sparklies and having seen yours am really looking forward to getting it in the mail.

Your stitched candy corns are lovely but if you ever want any JABC buttons sewandso sell them here in the UK. This is the link for the tiny candy corns
http://www.sewandso.co.uk/Products/4414W---Wee-Candy-Corn-Button--8mm__JUS-4414-prd-W.aspx

Michelle said...

Lovely projects Jo xx

Kaisievic said...

Lovely stitching update. Oh,I remember fireworks from when I was young but they are banned for home use now in Australia and nobody (except me) remembers Guy Fawkes day any more.

Sally said...

Fantastic post Jo. Lots of lovely stitching.

Yep I agree. No fireworks before and after!

Anonymous said...

Hello!

Beautiful stitching and a lovely blog.